The Importance of Being Earnest
By Oscar Wilde
November 9-18, 2018 (Thursdays-Sundays)
The Arakelian Theater at the
Firehouse Center for the Arts
Market Square, Newburyport, MA
Director: Anne Easter Smith
Rehearsals begin September 15, 2018 and will be primarily
weekday evenings and weekends, 2-3 times a week.
This is a Non-Equity production. Small stipend available.
Actors of all ethnicities, sizes, and types are encouraged
Synopsis of Play:
John Worthing, a carefree young gentleman, is the inventor of a fictitious brother, “Ernest,” whose wicked ways afford John an excuse to leave his country home from time to time and journey to London, where he stays with his close friend and confidant, Algernon Moncrieff. John, under the name Ernest, has won the love of Algernon’s cousin Gwendolen, for she strongly desires to marry someone with the confidence-inspiring name of Ernest. But when he asks for Gwendolen’s hand from the formidable Lady Bracknell, John must reveal he is an orphan, left in a handbag at Victoria Station. Lady Bracknell insists that he produce at least one parent before she consents to the marriage. Returning to the country home, where he lives with his ward Cecily Cardew and her governess Miss Prism, John finds that Algernon has also arrived under the identity of the nonexistent brother Ernest. Algernon falls madly in love with the beautiful Cecily, who has long been enamored of the mysterious, fascinating brother Ernest. With the arrival of Lady Bracknell and Gwendolen, chaos erupts. It is discovered that Miss Prism is the absent-minded nurse who twenty years ago misplaced the baby of Lady Bracknell’s brother in Victoria Station. Thus John, whose name is indeed Ernest, is Algernon’s elder brother, and the play ends with the two couples in a joyous embrace.
Actors should arrive at least 10 minutes prior to your audition time and come prepared with a copy of your headshot and resume (these will not be returned). Please prepare a one-minute comedic monologue in RP British Accent for your audition.
SEEKING TO CAST:
• Please note that the roles of Algernon Moncrieff and Dr. Chasuble have already been cast.
• John “Jack” Worthing, J.P., aka Ernest (early 30’s): A wealthy young gentleman who takes life seriously. He’s a friend of Algernon whose behavior he sometimes deplores. John is Cecily’s guardian and is in love with Gwendolen Fairfax.
• Hon. Gwendolen Fairfax (20-28): Algernon’s young, aristocratic and charmingly superficial cousin and Lady Bracknell’s daughter. She’s in love with John/Jack/Ernest.
• Lady Bracknell (55-65): Domineering, cunning, mercenary and snobbish. She’s Gwendolen’s mother, and she means to see her daughter well-married. A formidable woman, she is used to having her own way in all ways.
• Cecily Cardew (20-28): A young woman given to romantic fantasies and intrigued by the wickedness of Jack’s brother. She is the simpler, more innocent country girl to Gwendolyn’s sophisticated city girl.
• Miss Prism (50s): Cecily’s pedantic governess. She’s somewhat puritanical, but her softer side leans toward Dr. Chasuble. She once wrote an important novel.
• Merriman (60+): The butler at Jack’s country estate.
• Lane (30s-40s): Algernon’s manservant.
Prior sign up for audition time slot is required!
Monday August 20th, 2018 6:00 pm—10:00 pm at the Firehouse Center for the Arts Market Square, Newburyport MA 01950
Invited Callbacks Saturday, August 25th, 2018 1:00 pm—5:00 pm
You will be contacted by the Firehouse Center for the Arts with your audition time within 2 business days of your submission. The deadline for submissions is August 17th. If you have any questions or wish to audition but are unable to on that date please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.