The Rocky Horror Show
Music, Lyrics, and Book by Richard O'Brien
Music Director: Justin Knowlton
Choreographer: Kayleigh Kane
July 19 - August 10 (Thursday - Saturday at MIDNIGHT)
The Strand, Dover, NH (July 19 - 27)
The Press Room, Portsmouth, NH (July 25/August 8)
Firehouse Center for the Arts, Newburyport, MA (August 2 - 10)
Club Cafe, Boston, MA (August 1)
This is a Non-Equity production. Small stipend available. Actors of all ages, ethnicity, sizes, and types are encouraged to audition.
Auditions will be held by appointment only on Saturday, May 4 from 5pm-9pm at the Firehouse Rehearsal Space, 18 Graf Road, Newburyport, MA.
Invited callbacks will be held on Sunday, May 5 from 5pm-9pm at the Firehouse Rehearsal Space, 18 Graf Road, Newburyport, MA.
Actors should arrive at least 10 minutes prior to your audition time and come prepared with a resume and current head shot, if available. NOTE: Head shots will not be returned. Please prepare 16-32 bars of two contrasting songs in the style of the show. Bring sheet music, an accompanist will be provided. There will be a brief dance call, so please be prepared with proper dance attire. If you wish to be considered for the role of the Narrator, please prepare a one-minute comedic monologue.
Prior sign up for audition time slot required. Complete this audition form and use this link to provide your information (please double check your audition form is saved with your information). You will be contacted by the Firehouse Center for the Arts with your audition time within 2 business days of your submission. The deadline for submissions is May 3. If you have any questions or wish to audition but are unable to on that date please contact Sam Trottier email@example.com
Synopsis of Play:
In this cult classic, sweethearts Brad and Janet get stuck with a flat tire during a storm and discover the eerie mansion of Dr. Frank ‘N’ Furter, a transvestite scientist. As their innocence is lost, Brad and Janet meet a houseful of wild characters, including a rocking biker and a creepy butler. Through elaborate dances and rock songs, Frank ‘N’ Furter unveils his latest creation: a muscular man named "Rocky."
SEEKING TO CAST:
- Dr. Frank ‘N’ Furter (Range: Baritone, D3-G4): A “sweet transvestite from transsexual Translyvania.” Master of the castle. Welcomes Janet and Brad with open arms. Obsessed with creating a man to be part of his sexual entourage. Master of seduction. DISCLAIMER: This character appears in revealing clothing including, but not limited to, underwear, fishnets, and corset. This character also engages in intimate acts such as kissing and fondling.
- Janet Weiss (Range: Mezzo Soprano Belt, A3-Eb5): “Good girl” who is madly in love with Brad. Always seems to be frightened of something. Emotionally weak and caves into pressure easily. Discovers her sensuality and sexuality at Frank ‘N’ Furter’s castle.DISCLAIMER: This character appears in only underwear for multiple scenes and engages in intimate acts such as kissing and fondling.
- Brad Majors (Range: Bari Tenor, Bb2-G4): Quirky, but very much in love with his fiancé, Janet. Overly optimistic at times. Discovers his sexuality and sensuality at Frank ‘N’ Furter’s castle. DISCLAIMER: This character appears in only underwear for multiple scenes and engages in intimate acts such as kissing and fondling.
- Riff Raff (Range: High Rock Tenor, D3-B4): Creepy man resembling more of a zombie. Devoted brother and lover of Magenta. Often makes harmless conversation seem awkward and foreboding. One of Frank’s servants, but increasingly frustrated by him. An alien from Transylvania.
- Magenta/Usherette (Range: Mezzo Soprano Belt, Bb3-Eb5): One of Frank’s servants. Devoted sister and lover of Riff-Raff. A maid with a wild side. An alien from Transylvania.
- Columbia (Range: Mezzo Soprano Belt, E4-E5): One of Frank’s servants; a groupie. A lover of both Eddie and Frank ‘n’ Furter. Tap experience a plus.
- Rocky (Range: Tenor, A3-G4): Frank’s magnificent creation. Sexually appealing with prominent muscles. A simple, child-like mind in the body of an Adonis. Occasionally melancholy. Often afraid of the world he’s recently been born into. DISCLAIMER: This character is sexually objectified by other on-stage characters and appears in only underwear for the majority of the show. This character also engages in intimate acts such as kissing and fondling.
- Eddie/Dr. Scott (Range: Baritone, E3-F#4): Eddie, delivery man, “went to pieces.” Misses the rock and role of life. Comes back to life only to die after his solo. Scott is Eddie’s Uncle.
- The Narrator (Range: Non-Singing Role): Follows our two heroes through the story by narrating directly to the audience
- Phantoms/Transylvanians (SATB): Various singers. A group of hedonists and deviants. Strong movers.
Prior sign up for audition time slot is required!
For these auditions, no nudity or any form of sexual contact will be required as part of an actor’s audition. We will not ask prospective participants to perform violence or sexual contact as part of an audition without disclosing this expectation in the audition notice or invitation. We seek to foster an environment of communication, safety, respect, accountability, and the health, safety, and well-being of institutions and its participants.
Actors of color are strongly encouraged to audition, and all roles are open to inclusive casting unless otherwise specified. Auditions/interviews shall be conducted in a manner that promotes fair consideration to persons of all races, ethnicities, national origins, genders, sexual orientations, ages, and ability statuses.