Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
Music by Andrew Lloyd Webber
Lyrics by Tim Rice
March 30th, 2019
Children’s Chorus (ages 6-13)
10:00am – 11:00am
Open Audtions (ages 14-99)
12:00 pm—4:00 pm
Firehouse Center for the Arts
Market Square, Newburyport MA 01950
Invited Callbacks at the Firehouse
Sunday, March 31st, 2019
7:00 pm—10:00 pm
Prior sign up for audition time slot required.Complete this audition form and use this link to provide your information. You will be contacted by the Firehouse Center for the Arts with your audition time within 2 business days of your submission. The deadline for submissions is March 29th. If you have any questions or wish to audition but are unable to on that date please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
June 14-30 (Thursdays-Sundays)
The Arakelian Theater at the Firehouse Center for the Arts
Market Square, Newburyport, MA
Director: John Budzyna
Music Director: Alisa Bucchiere
Choreographer: Jen Steeves and Kayla Waldron
Rehearsals begin May 2019 and will be primarily weekday evenings/afternoons and weekends, 2-3 times a week.
This is a Non-Equity production. Small stipend available. Actors of all ethnicities, sizes, and types are encouraged to audition.
Synopsis of Play:
Told entirely through song with the help of a main character Narrator, the musical follows preferred son Joseph. After being sold into slavery by his brothers, he ingratiates himself with Egyptian noble Potiphar, but ends up in jail after refusing the amorous advances of Potiphar’s wife. While imprisoned, Joseph discovers his ability to interpret dreams, and he soon finds himself in front of the mighty but troubled, Elvis-inspired, Pharaoh. Joseph’s solution to Egypt’s famine elevates him to Pharaoh’s right-hand man and reunites him with his family.
Actors should arrive at least 10 minutes prior to your audition time and come prepared with a copy of your headshot and resume (these will not be returned).
Please prepare 16-32 bars of two contrasting songs in the style of the show. Bring sheet music, an accompanist will be provided.
Auditioners for the Children’s Chorus will learn a short part of “Close Every Door To Me” as a group and will have the chance to sing a solo.
SEEKING TO CAST:
- Joseph (high tenor): Eleventh and favorite son of Jacob; confident by charming
- Narrator (soprano w/ extended mix belt): The host, through word and song guides the audience through the story
- Pharaoh (baritone): The most powerful man in Egypt and considered a god on earth. He is in a strange psychological place and is desperately searching for he truth in his dreams; character is an homage to Elvis
- Potiphar (baritone, 50-70 yrs): Rich, self-indulgent and sophisticated Egyptian capitalist who buys Joseph as a slave
- Mrs. Potiphar (strong dancer): Indulgent woman who likes to get her own way and thinks about her personal gratification first. Razor sharp, confident; also part of the female ensemble
- Jacob (baritone, 50-75 yrs): Father of Joseph and his 11 brothers. Favors Joseph as the first son of his favorite wife, unwittingly causing the friction that exists between Joseph and his brothers.
- Joseph’s Brothers: Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah, Dan, Naphtali, Gad, Asher, Issachar, Zebulun, and Benjamin; jealous of Joseph and sell him into slavery
- Butler & Baker (tenors): Brother that work for the Pharaoh, both decent men in precarious situations
- Female Ensemble: Will play multiple roles including Jacob’s wives and sons, and citizen
- Children’s Chorus: sing and dance along main characters throughout the show
PRIOR SIGN-UP FOR AUDITION TIME SLOT IS REQUIRED