NEW WORKS FESTIVAL 2020 CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
“THE LONG AND THE SHORT OF IT”
A festival celebrating new short, one‐act, and full‐length plays.
*We are no longer accepting submissions for full-length plays*
Festival Dates: January 17‐19 & January 24‐26, 2020
- Submitting playwrights must currently live in New England. (Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Connecticut, or Rhode Island).
- All work must be original and should not have been published or fully produced in New England prior to June 2019. Work previously performed in a reader’s theater format, in a workshop, or in a non‐profit new‐play festival in this same time period are still eligible. Staged readings or workshop productions will not disqualify the scripts.
- Musicals, monologues, children’s plays, adaptations, film and TV scripts are ineligible.
- Playwrights may submit up to two (2) scripts. Scripts must be submitted as separate applications.
- Please DO NOT include any identifying information on the scripts you submit (i.e. playwright name, contact info, etc.) Our judging process is blind to ensure fairness, and any script that includes identifying information is subject to immediate disqualification.
- Shorts must have a run‐time of 8‐10 minutes. The cast of shorts cannot exceed four actors (who may play multiple roles).
- One act plays must have a run‐time between 30 and 60 minutes.
- Full‐length plays must have a run time of at least 75 minutes to 150 minutes.
- We will only accept the first 30 Full Lengths submitted, and we cap total play submissions at 200 to prevent overloading our readers and judges.
- Minimal set and props will be used during the New Works Festival. Please bear this restriction in mind when determining which piece to submit.
- Scripts are judged by blind jury and decisions are final. No written or verbal critique will be tendered.
- The Firehouse Center for the Arts will only accept electronic submission. By electronically submitting, you will receive confirmation of your successful submission. All electronic submissions should be submitted using the form found here.
- Please submit one electronic copy of each script. Scripts must be separate attachments. Only electronic submissions will be accepted.
- Scripts should not include any form of identification. Any submission that does not follow this format is subject to immediate disqualification.
- Scripts should follow standard play formatting. At the least: one‐inch margins, 12‐point font, character names capitalized, stage directions in italics, and page numbers included.
- Scripts should include a character breakdown.
- Please thoroughly proof‐read your script.
- Copyright licenses always remain with the author(s).
- Submissions will be accepted until 11:59 PM on Sunday, June 16, 2019. No exceptions!
- Submitted plays that meet the above criteria are judged by an independent panel of theater professionals. Playwrights will remain anonymous throughout the judging process. All playwrights will be notified as to whether or not their play will be presented in the festival. The judges’ decisions are final.
- Selected full-length and one-act plays will be presented on‐book as staged readings. Shorts will be presented off‐book. All productions will use minimal sets, props, and technical cues.
- The Full-Length play selected for The Pestalozzi Prize will be awarded an honorarium of $150.00. The One Act play and Short selected for the Peter Honegger Prizes will each be awarded an honorarium of $75.00.
Any questions about the submission process or the Festival itself can be directed to email@example.com.